Have you already retired or are you just about to?

How is my Pension Taxed?

All pensions are subject to Income Tax and Universal Social Charge (USC) deduction on the PAYE basis. You will, therefore, require a Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN), in respect of pension payments. This will be requested by CERS pension payroll department from Revenue when your Benefit is being processed through payroll. If we do not receive a valid RPN, your Benefit will be taxed on the Emergency Tax basis and you may need to contact Revenue directly.  

To contact Revenue, please visit www.revenue.ie or by phone (01) 738 3636. 

It may be of assistance to note that the Registered Employer’s Number of the Pension Scheme is 0065485S.

The Universal Social Charge is a tax payable on gross income from all sources if the total exceeds €13,000 per annum (not including Dept. of Social Protection Payments).

The Universal Social Charge individual deduction rates are issued on your tax credit certificate (RPN), by Revenue. If you have any query relating to the amount of USC deducted please contact Revenue directly to query or update your details.

The current standard rates (2024), of Universal Social Charge are:

  • 0.5% on the first €12,012 per annum.
  • 2% on the next €13,748 per annum.
  • 4% on income above €25,761 per annum to a total of €70,044 per annum.
  • 8% on all income above €70,044 per annum.

However, these standard rates are modified in certain circumstances.

  • In the case of individuals aged 70 or over and individuals who hold full medical cards, 0.5% is payable on the first €12,012 and the 2% rate applies to the balance of all income over €12,012 per annum, (where their aggregate income does not exceed €60,000 per annum).
  • Individuals in receipt of an Exclusion Order i.e. those that live outside of the State, in a country that has a double taxation agreement with Ireland.

How is my Pension Paid?

Details of your own pension amount and start date will be provided by the administration in your retirement letter. Our pensions are paid on the first of each month and payments are in advance. For example, your payment on the 1st June is in respect of June. Payments will be made direct to your bank or credit union account with a payslip issued to you by email or to your home address.

When will I get my P60?

The P60 (i.e. End of Year Statement), has been made redundant by Revenue since 2019. The replacement document is only available from Revenue directly. This is an "Employment Detail Summary" and is only available from Revenue Anytime (via your personal Revenue online portal) or by phone (01) 738 3636.

What if I have any other questions?

Please take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions . If you still have questions, please contact our pension payroll department on (01) 407 1458, by email (payroll@cers.ie), or complete the contact form on our website

Frequently Asked Questions

For a list of our most commonly asked questions, visit our FAQs

+353 1 407 1430

Request a Callback

Thank you for registering for a call back. A representative will contact you soon.
Best time to contact you:

* Required Fields
Cookie Preferences